Re: [Emerald] serv-u ftp and others

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 20:33:37 -0800

> Kenneth Gustav Eitenmiller Jr wrote:
> I have gotten emerald up and running and now am looking for some
> information on serv-u ftp.
> I have a server running iis4 with a few commercial web/ftp pages.
> I would like to put my users web/ftp there also.
> Can iis4 and serv-u run at the same time on the same machine?

You can run the IIS web service and serv-u on the same machine, but
you can't run IIS's ftp service and serv-u at the same time.

> It is my understanding that emerald exports users to serv-u ftp...

You can configure serv-u to get username/password and other
information from the Emerald database, on the fly. Users
don't actually get created in serv-u.

> Will it set up pages at if i have
> running under iis4?

If you stop the IIS ftp service and run serv-u, sure.

> Is there a way to make my users web pages available at

1) Create a share off the machine of wherever the web server is,
sharing the directory where points to. I'd
recommend using a virtual website like,

For example, if you have d:\inetpub\users as the root for, then do a:

net share users=d:\inetpub\users

2) Configure the default directory in Emerald to be \\machine\users
where machine is the name of the machine.

Then, when you add a user to Emerlad, it will create
the dir for you and the user can log into the ftp site to
maintain thier directory.